Zen Cart Design and Zen Cart Templates
I create custom Zen Cart templates for sale.
I can use a client's PSD or PNG file and create a Zen Cart template from someone else's design.
I create Zen Cart templates that match an existing site's design.
I prefer not to edit purchased templates because at this time too many are badly done and not correct for the recent Zen Cart versions.
About Zen Cart Templates
One of the great things, though it does complicate things, is that Zen Cart admin is chock full of configuration settings that allow you to turn features on or off without editing a bit of code.
A Zen Cart design is based on images, of course, and CSS (cascading style sheets) as well as the admin settings.
What makes a good Zen Cart template besides the fact that it looks good?
- Overrides done properly and only for changed template files.
- Use of default stylesheet.css. New divs and classes only added where necessary.
- Use of the full default templates - changes only made for layout of elements.
- All features included but turned off in admin when desired. You lose no functionality.
- Full explanation of admin configuration changes.
- Use of css in lieu of images as much as possible to keep page load time down.
- Use of CSS buttons again to keep load time down and make changing the text on those buttons easier. No graphics means no need for image editing.
- Use of additional standard Zen Cart mods for good e-commerce processes, layout and information.
- Use of most recent stable Zen Cart Version - at present that is 1.5.4