This Mobile Zen Cart template first went on sale in January of 2011. The decisions I made then still remain the best course of action for a mobile version of Zen Cart. Is this a truly responsive template? Absolutely not. Is it a great alternative? No question! So let me explain why.
- Separates mods out of the mobile template. You don't have to worry about whether mods will work on a mobile device or if a mod will destroy the display.
- Fast loading. No elements are hidden from view as in responsive templates. They don't load at all and this really speeds up the mobile experience.
- Mobile features! This was designed for mobile devices - with expandable menus in the newest version and an app-like interface.
- Designed specifically for mobile. In using this type of ready made template, you can be assured to that the mobile experience was the driving force - not just converting a website to a good look on a phone as some responsive templates do.
- Meets Google's mobile-friendly requirements. It is a separate versions for desktop and mobile with instructions of how to set it up so that Google indexes it properly. You don't have to have a "responsive template"! Test it out with Google Mobile Friendly tool!
Done with jQuery mobile, this mobile Zen Cart template uses HTML5 and CSS3 to create a nice application-like cart with no images for the design, thus reducing page load time. jQuery mobile has broad support for phones and mobile devices. It looks super on the iPhone and iPad (those web site visitors who spend more) and much easier to navigate and view on smartphones and tablets. Read more about the supported platforms here.
The requirements are simple:
- Zen Cart 1.5.1, 2, 3, 4 (I no longer sell mobile templates for versions prior to these. Upgrade!)
- Enough quota/space on your hosting for another installation of Zen Cart
- IonCube loaders on your server or the ability to install it
Full instructions for installation and configuration is included in the package but you may also purchase installation as well. Since this does not rely on your existing cart, it doesn't matter how highly modified your cart is or how well your overrides are done. This will work and installation does not require any modification of existing files in your present cart except to install your choice of redirects.
Working demos: mzencart.com